Little White Lies project
This was the brief we was given:
“Create an original cover illustration for Little White Lies magazine, depicting the main character of one of our five favourite films of 2011”
“Each issue, Little White Lies takes a new film as the lead for its look and feel. Each cover features an illustrated portrait of the film’s main character– simple, iconic and unique. We’ve created a shortlist of our five favourite films of 2011 for you to choose from;
Drive, Black Swan, The Tree of Life, Super 8,and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.You might want to consider the visual setting, historical/cultural background or key visual images from the film when choosing your approach. You can work in any medium you like.”
“The majority of Little White Lies cover illustrations depict the main character as the cover star. You will have creative freedom for the background of your illustration, but you should produce a portrait of the main character as the defining focal point. Each issue we also ask our cover illustrator to include the title of the film in their own typographic style. This could be based on an existing typeface or be an original piece of hand lettering. The typography can sit on top of the illustration or be fully integrated into the composition. You will need to incorporate the Little White Lies masthead into your composition. A correctly sized Photoshop template will be available for you to use – please do not change or re-create the masthead or move its position on the page.”
My interpretation of the brief
So for this project I knew that I had to create an original cover for little white lies magazine,and having done some research into the kind of covers the magazine has, I decided to go with a hand drawn/digital combination.
I then had to choose a film from the list of films given to me on the brief, so over one weekend, I managed to watch all 5 films (greatest homework ever!) and decided to choose super 8 as my film, as this was the one that I enjoyed the most and which I think had the best story line.
I then set about doing some research on the film, including finding out who the main characters are and the actors who play them, and then put together a collection of photographs and screenshots from the film (which was actually quite hard) and then started drawing and being creative with different media, including fine liners, pencil, screen printing and marbling. I think the best outcome came from my fine line drawing of the main character (seen above) combined with some anaglyph 3D work that the class was experimenting with at the time. This is where my final piece came from, and overall, I am really happy with it.Advertisements